Dong Fangzhuo has been named in China's under-23 squad for this summer's Olympic Games in Beijing.
The United striker missed the last three months of the 2007/08 season with a knee injury sustained in a Reserves match against Blackburn in February.
But the 23-year-old proved he was back to full fitness by scoring in China's 4-0 warm-up victory over Malaysia last weekend.
He has now taken his place alongside Charlton's Zheng Zhi – one of three permitted over-age players – in the 22-man party for the tournament, which takes place from August 6-23.
Dong is likely to come up against Reds team-mate Anderson in Beijing as China have been drawn against Brazil, New Zealand and Belgium in Group C.
Should China progress to the latter stages of the tournament, Dong will miss the start of the first-team season but will return in time for the Reserves' new campaign, which gets underway on September 18.
Read more...
Custom Search
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
O'Shea: We're in good shape
John O'Shea says the Reds are in good shape as preparations for the new campaign continue.
The 27-year-old Irishman had an enjoyable summer on the back of United's double triumph last season. Now back in training, he admits the pre-season regime can be pretty strenuous, but says the players are in safe hands at Carrington.
"All the coaching staff, particularly Tony [Strudwick] our fitness coach are looking after us very well and things are going good so far," he told MUTV.
"You've always got one eye on keeping yourself reasonably fit over the summer and because of internationals at the end of the season you're pretty much kept ticking over.
"I think everyone finds pre-season a little bit tough, but you get through it. It's great to be back, to see all the lads and we're all looking forward to the new season."
The players will step up their work during a ten-day trip to Africa. The squad fly out to Cape Town on Thursday for Saturday's first game in the Vodacom Challenge.
United then visit Durban and Tshwane for two further matches in South Africa, before stopping off in Nigeria's capital city Abuja for a friendly against Portsmouth.
Read more...
The 27-year-old Irishman had an enjoyable summer on the back of United's double triumph last season. Now back in training, he admits the pre-season regime can be pretty strenuous, but says the players are in safe hands at Carrington.
"All the coaching staff, particularly Tony [Strudwick] our fitness coach are looking after us very well and things are going good so far," he told MUTV.
"You've always got one eye on keeping yourself reasonably fit over the summer and because of internationals at the end of the season you're pretty much kept ticking over.
"I think everyone finds pre-season a little bit tough, but you get through it. It's great to be back, to see all the lads and we're all looking forward to the new season."
The players will step up their work during a ten-day trip to Africa. The squad fly out to Cape Town on Thursday for Saturday's first game in the Vodacom Challenge.
United then visit Durban and Tshwane for two further matches in South Africa, before stopping off in Nigeria's capital city Abuja for a friendly against Portsmouth.
Read more...
Labels:
News
Berbatov confident of making dream move
Dimitar Berbatov is determined Tottenham’s hard-line stance over a proposed move to Manchester United will not wreck his dream of Champions League football next season. United have not agreed a fee with Spurs and have not raised last week’s initial £20m bid. But despite insistence form Tottenham that a new approach is not welcome, Berbatov has told those close to him that he expects to be a United player come the close of the transfer window. Sir Alex Ferguson is prepared to play a waiting game for Berbatov, given the Bulgaria striker is his only major transfer target of the summer. Sources at United confirmed there is no prospect of Berbatov joining them on their tour of South Africa and Nigeria, but negotiations will gather pace upon their return in a fortnight’s time.
Simon Cass, Daily Mail Read more...
Simon Cass, Daily Mail Read more...
Labels:
News
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Berbatov agent speaks out
Dimitar Berbatov's agent has told the Bulgarian media that he is convinced United are interested in signing the Tottenham striker.
Reports in the British tabloids on Saturday suggested that United had made an official bid for the 27-year-old forward, after months of stories linking the Bulgarian with a move to Old Trafford.
When asked about the speculation in an interview with Bulgarian radio station Darik, agent Emil Danchev did little to dampen the speculation.
"I know for certain Manchester United have shown interest in signing Dimitar Berbatov," said Danchev. "But I'm not entitled to make any more comments."
Sir Alex Ferguson revealed earlier in July that he is aiming to delve into the transfer market for at least new one face this summer, and is 'looking at one or two things.'
Read more...
Reports in the British tabloids on Saturday suggested that United had made an official bid for the 27-year-old forward, after months of stories linking the Bulgarian with a move to Old Trafford.
When asked about the speculation in an interview with Bulgarian radio station Darik, agent Emil Danchev did little to dampen the speculation.
"I know for certain Manchester United have shown interest in signing Dimitar Berbatov," said Danchev. "But I'm not entitled to make any more comments."
Sir Alex Ferguson revealed earlier in July that he is aiming to delve into the transfer market for at least new one face this summer, and is 'looking at one or two things.'
Read more...
Labels:
News
Fletch focused on United
Despite reports linking him with a summer transfer, Darren Fletcher is fully focused on upping his first team involvement at Old Trafford next season.
The Scottish midfielder spent a sizeable portion of last season on the sidelines, largely through injury, and has allegedly attracted interest from Everton.
Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted that Fletcher remains very much part of the first-team picture at United, and the 25-year-old wants to force his way into regular action.
"To play in more matches than last season, that's obviously the target each season," he said. "You do your bit, you're patient and you've got to wait for your chance. I'll be ready to take my chance when it comes and I'll hopefully play a few more matches."
Just as Fletcher is nonplussed by talk of a move away from Old Trafford, he is totally unfazed by the potential of new arrivals, saying: "I don't think much needs to change but fresh faces are always good.
"Competition for places is always going to be at Manchester United. It's something you've got to rise to."
Read more...
The Scottish midfielder spent a sizeable portion of last season on the sidelines, largely through injury, and has allegedly attracted interest from Everton.
Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted that Fletcher remains very much part of the first-team picture at United, and the 25-year-old wants to force his way into regular action.
"To play in more matches than last season, that's obviously the target each season," he said. "You do your bit, you're patient and you've got to wait for your chance. I'll be ready to take my chance when it comes and I'll hopefully play a few more matches."
Just as Fletcher is nonplussed by talk of a move away from Old Trafford, he is totally unfazed by the potential of new arrivals, saying: "I don't think much needs to change but fresh faces are always good.
"Competition for places is always going to be at Manchester United. It's something you've got to rise to."
Read more...
Labels:
News
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)