Alex Ferguson says he is convinced Manchester United will land Dimitar Berbatov before the start of the season. The Old Trafford chief has spoken about his hunt for the Tottenham striker for the first time. He started tracking the 27-year-old Bulgarian ace seven years ago and confirmed United have made a bid. Fergie said: “We have made Tottenham an offer on Berbatov and we have good expectations that this deal will go through. “Berbatov has been impressive during a long time and would be a great addition to our attack.”
United slapped in a £22million bid but Spurs are holding out for more. Fergie ideally wanted the deal done before he left with his squad for the tour of South Africa. But he is still confident the transfer will go through despite interest from Spanish giants Barcelona. Fergie said: “I think time will work for us more than against us. “We will not stress this situation. We are hoping to have a constructive conversation with Tottenham in the near future.”
Neil Custis, The Sun
Read more...
Custom Search
Friday, July 18, 2008
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Young Manchester United Vs. Old Manchester United Highlights Video Clip
This is the old match which was played as a testimonial match for the TREBLE. However, it is a good match that every Manchester United fan should see. The legend like Cantona, Mark Hughs, Bryan Robson were back in the team.
Read more...
Read more...
Labels:
Video Clip
Ferguson confirms bid for new player
Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Manchester United have lodged a bid for at least one new player during this summer's transfer window but refused to reveal the identity of his number one target.
Tottenham Hotspur striker Dimitar Berbatov is believed to be the man at the top of the European Champions' shopping list and it has been widely reported in the English press that Spurs rejected a £20million bid earlier this week.
On Thursday Ferguson confirmed a bid had been lodged for an unnamed target which he hoped would lead to a successful conclusion.
'We have made a bid for one player who would enhance us a great deal,' said Ferguson.
Tottenham are holding out for more cash but whether United are prepared to go beyond the £20million that has been mentioned is doubtful.
In any case, it would be handy for Spurs to get the money in quickly as manager Juande Ramos looks to rejig his own squad, with a big-money move for David Bentley in the offing.
And on the same day that Ferguson admitted to a foray into the transfer market Ramos refused to rule out selling either Berbatov, or Robbie Keane, who is being tracked by Liverpool, and revealed that some top clubs have shown interest in the pair.
Ramos told AS: 'We will see what happens there, but we are talking about two very important players. For the moment they are with us, but whatever happens the idea is to have a great squad, with the potential to allow us to aim to improve on what we managed last season.
'We have to be realistic and see what we are starting with and who we are competing against. There are some big clubs who have spent a lot of money over many years and have a certain advantage; in fact they claim they want to sign some of our players.'
Any deal for Berbatov could move much closer over the next fortnight, although with Ferguson and chief executive David Gill both on the plane for United's tour of South Africa and Nigeria, it will be left to club solicitor Maurice Watkins, who found himself at the centre of the Carlos Tevez affair last summer, to deal with any on-the-spot issues.
Read more...
Tottenham Hotspur striker Dimitar Berbatov is believed to be the man at the top of the European Champions' shopping list and it has been widely reported in the English press that Spurs rejected a £20million bid earlier this week.
On Thursday Ferguson confirmed a bid had been lodged for an unnamed target which he hoped would lead to a successful conclusion.
'We have made a bid for one player who would enhance us a great deal,' said Ferguson.
Tottenham are holding out for more cash but whether United are prepared to go beyond the £20million that has been mentioned is doubtful.
In any case, it would be handy for Spurs to get the money in quickly as manager Juande Ramos looks to rejig his own squad, with a big-money move for David Bentley in the offing.
And on the same day that Ferguson admitted to a foray into the transfer market Ramos refused to rule out selling either Berbatov, or Robbie Keane, who is being tracked by Liverpool, and revealed that some top clubs have shown interest in the pair.
Ramos told AS: 'We will see what happens there, but we are talking about two very important players. For the moment they are with us, but whatever happens the idea is to have a great squad, with the potential to allow us to aim to improve on what we managed last season.
'We have to be realistic and see what we are starting with and who we are competing against. There are some big clubs who have spent a lot of money over many years and have a certain advantage; in fact they claim they want to sign some of our players.'
Any deal for Berbatov could move much closer over the next fortnight, although with Ferguson and chief executive David Gill both on the plane for United's tour of South Africa and Nigeria, it will be left to club solicitor Maurice Watkins, who found himself at the centre of the Carlos Tevez affair last summer, to deal with any on-the-spot issues.
Read more...
Labels:
News
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Local honour for Ryan
Ryan Giggs has added yet another accolade to his already bulging collection after being awarded an honorary degree by the University of Salford.
United's record appearance-maker, who grew up in Swinton, was made a Master of Arts for his contribution to sport and his unstinting charity work. As an ambassador for UNICEF, he regularly campaigns for children who have been made vulnerable by HIV and AIDS. He was awarded an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List in 2007 for his services to football.
Giggs was officially presented with his latest award at a ceremony at the Lowry Theatre in Salford Quays on Tuesday.
"When I started my career as a professional footballer I didn’t envisage that one day I’d be made Master of Arts. So I’m really pleased to accept this degree," said the 33-year-old. "I grew up in Salford and it’s been a big part of my life for 30 years, so it’s great to be a part of Salford University now.”
Vice-Chancellor of the University of Salford, Professor Michael Harloe added: “We're delighted to present this degree to Ryan. It's not only his great achievements on the pitch which deserve recognition, but his valuable charity work with developing countries.”
Read more...
United's record appearance-maker, who grew up in Swinton, was made a Master of Arts for his contribution to sport and his unstinting charity work. As an ambassador for UNICEF, he regularly campaigns for children who have been made vulnerable by HIV and AIDS. He was awarded an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List in 2007 for his services to football.
Giggs was officially presented with his latest award at a ceremony at the Lowry Theatre in Salford Quays on Tuesday.
"When I started my career as a professional footballer I didn’t envisage that one day I’d be made Master of Arts. So I’m really pleased to accept this degree," said the 33-year-old. "I grew up in Salford and it’s been a big part of my life for 30 years, so it’s great to be a part of Salford University now.”
Vice-Chancellor of the University of Salford, Professor Michael Harloe added: “We're delighted to present this degree to Ryan. It's not only his great achievements on the pitch which deserve recognition, but his valuable charity work with developing countries.”
Read more...
Labels:
News
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)