Custom Search

Monday, September 10, 2007

Man Utd: Hiddink my biggest influence, says Park

SEOUL, Sept 10, 2007 (AFP) - Manchester United's Korean star Park Ji-sung has highlighted Guus Hiddink as the biggest influence on his career rather than Sir Alex Ferguson, but sees similarities between the two.

The midfield dynamo, who is out of action until at least January with an injured right knee, said he owed a lot to Hiddink, the former coach of South Korea now managing Russia.

After being rejected by a host of clubs in Korea, Park attended Myung-Ji University to continue his footballing career.

Yet it was not until Dutchman Hiddink was appointed coach of Korean team Taeguk Warriors in 2000 that his career began to blossom.

"When I was young, I always tried to play at a club that was more advanced than my level, so I was continually challenging myself to attain higher goals," he told Fifa.com.

"Fortunately for me, I was selected by the national team while I was still at university. Then I went to Eindhoven and gained European experience.

"But it was Guus Hiddink who turned my career around. By believing in me, he made me believe in myself. That is such an important thing for a young footballer."

Park went on to become an integral part of the Korean team at the 2002 World Cup before moving to PSV Eindhoven in 2003 and then Manchester United in 2005.

He said he saw similarities between Hiddink and Ferguson.

"Both are excellent coaches and they always encourage me and my teammates to show our abilities. I find that players who play under their management always give 100 percent in every game."

The 26-year-old has pencilled in a comeback date for early 2008 and believes United have what it takes to retain the Premiership title.

"We've got a good squad and the manager has brought some good players into the team to improve it even further.

"The new signings have all impressed me in different ways. Nani is very quick, Owen (Hargreaves) works hard and Carlos (Tevez) has great vision.

"Anderson hasn't played much, but I am looking forward to seeing more of him. Hopefully, I'll be playing again early in the New Year. My knee is getting better. It's a case of so far, so good."

No comments: