Custom Search

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Simmo 'buzzing' after Wigan win


After a clean sheet and an assist on his Premier League debut, it's little surprise that Danny Simpson was beaming after United's win over Wigan.

The Salford-born defender replaced dead-leg victim John O'Shea against the Latics, and capped a highly impressive display with a perfect cross for Wayne Rooney to head in United's fourth goal.

"It was magnificent, I'm buzzing," Danny told MUTV after the game. "It's a Premier League game, playing with Ronaldo on the right wing and it's a good feeling. I don't know what else to say. Hopefully there'll be a few more feelings like this to come.

"I had family and friends here, so obviously I've had a few texts from everybody. I'm looking forward to going and seeing them now, to see what they have to say.

"(For Rooney's goal) I saw Scholesy get the ball and thought that if I made the run he'd give it me. I took a touch, looked up and we've been practicing it a lot in training with Rene Meulensteen, and I just clipped it in and luckily Wayne was on the end of it."

The 20-year-old defender is hopeful that his impressive shift at Old Trafford will persuade Sir Alex Ferguson that he can be regularly used at senior level.

"The gaffer has said I'm staying here as cover," Simpson revealed. "Obviously we've got a few injuries and hopefully I've shown him today that, when the lads are injured, I can come in and do a job for him.

United's four-goal romp against Chris Hutchings' side was their most emphatic victory of the season, and the Reds served up plenty of the attacking football that has become their hallmark.

Following so many narrow victories, Simpson conceded that it was inevitable that some unfortunate team would cop a hiding from the hitherto goal-shy champions.

"It was a matter of time before we did that to a team," he said. "We've been getting a lot of chances, it's just that we've not been taking them. Today we deserved that win, and hopefully we can carry on."

No comments: