Custom Search

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fletcher wants to stay

Darren Fletcher says he is happy at United and has no intention of leaving, despite interest from other Premier League clubs.

Media reports suggest the 23-year-old midfielder's former international boss Alex McLeish is keen on taking him to Birmingham City. But Fletcher insists he is not looking for pastures new.

"I am still happy playing for Manchester United and I am not thinking of going elsewhere," he said. "I never heard anything about Birmingham being interested, I just know I want to be here for a long time.

"My only focus is on being ready when the manager needs me and being able to perform for the club when asked."

The Scot has played 15 times for the Reds this season, nine times as a substitute with Anderson, Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick so far higher up the pecking order. And with Paul Scholes due back later this month, competition is fierce for central midfield opportunities. But as the season enters its crucial stages, Fletcher hopes this will be the time where he can make his contribution felt.

"It is frustrating because any player wants to play," he said. "But it has been down to the form of the midfield. Fair play to Anderson, when Paul Scholes got injured, he came in and has great. The manager has stuck by him, which is what he does when you perform well.

"We will see how things pan out at the end of the season in terms of games played and what you have contributed to the squad. But I am not thinking about that just now. I'm looking short term, and I'd like to win a few trophies and hopefully go a few steps further than last year."

No comments: