Custom Search

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nani: I'll play my part

Portuguese winger Nani says he is ready to play whenever Sir Alex Ferguson calls on him, but says patience and a determination to develop are key attributes in this stage of his United career.

Nani joined the Reds in the summer and, despite starting six of United’s first ten games of the season, has found regular appearances more difficult to come by. He has started just three of the last ten matches for the Reds.

However, the 21-year-old expected a gradual learning curve. And in an interview conducted in English, which shows he has developed an impressive grasp of English, Nani told MUTV that he is sure his time will come.

“It’s a long season so some of the players will get tired,” he said. “But we have a big squad and if we change one player it is not a problem because the players that come in do a good job.

“I am confident that, if I play, I can do well for the team. I have to wait for my opportunities and I knew that was the case when I joined. I don’t see it as a problem.”

Nani is in direct competition with United stalwart and stand-in skipper Ryan Giggs for the left wing position, a player he has great respect for.

“I am new at this club and players like Ryan Giggs have played for United for many years,” he added. “Giggs has a great history at this club. I just have to wait for my time to come and when it does I have to show that I can play well.

“I am OK and I feel settled at the club. I think I have improved a lot since I started. And as I get more games, more training and more time learning I will keep on improving as a player."

No comments: