Custom Search

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ronny revels in 'special day'

Cristiano Ronaldo was predictably elated to finally score his first United hat-trick in Saturday’s destruction of Newcastle at Old Trafford.

Having struck braces on 13 separate occasions for the Reds, the Portuguese winger finally bagged a match ball with a second half treble against the Magpies, taking United back to the top of the Barclays Premier League in style.

“I’ve said before, if I score two in every game then I’m very happy,” he told Setanta Sports. “But I’ve looked for a few years to score three goals for this massive club and I’m very proud.

“It’s a special day. I’m happy of course to win the game and to go top of the league, I think this is most important. It is also important to score, to help my team and today I’m very proud and happy.”

With United rampant in retaking top spot, Ronaldo is keen for the champions to kick on and stay in top form as the title race unfolds over the coming months.

“It’s important to stay at the top of the table,” he said. “If the team plays like that, in the second half, I’m sure we are the best team. But you need to keep going like that. It’s a good moment for the team and for the players.”

No comments: