Custom Search

Friday, February 8, 2008

Fletch: I'm still improving

Scotland international Darren Fletcher insists he’s getting better all the time, despite a recent shortage of first-team football.

The arrival of midfielders Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani last summer undoubtedly strengthened the Reds' squad. But it's also seen 24-year-old Fletcher restricted to just two league starts this season.

“That’s what you expect when you’re at United,” Fletcher told Manchester United Radio. “We’ve always had strong squads over the years. Right now I find myself on the outside looking in, but I’m working hard and keeping myself fit.

“I’m always ready for when the manager needs me and I have to be because the games are going to start coming thick and fast. To be honest though, with the quality of players we have at United, training is almost as good as playing in matches.”

It’s certainly hard to imagine a better education than playing alongside the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand. But for all the squad’s talent, Fletcher says there’s still nobody like Paul Scholes.

“What a reception he got when he came back against Spurs,” he said. “And rightly so! The whole stadium errupted in appreciation of a world-class footballer.

“Sometimes I don’t think Paul gets the recognition he deserves, but he’s definitely one of the best midfielders in the world - he has been for the last 10 or 12 years.

“He’s a pleasure to play with… and a nightmare to play against in training! But you always want to test yourself against the best and every day I go up against one of the best players in the world. I'm lucky in that respect.”

No comments: