Custom Search

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Pique plays waiting game

Gerard Pique is the first to admit he'd like to have clocked up more minutes on the pitch this season, but remains confident he'll get his chance to shine.

The 21-year-old has impressed on each of his nine appearances this term which have yielded two goals.

Obstructing his passage to becoming a regular starter, however, are “two of the best centre-backs in the world”. The dynamic duo to which he refers is the fearsome partnership of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

“They complement each other very well,” Pique tells the March issue of Inside United.

“They’re two of the best in the world, both strong in the air and good on the ball. And they show their qualities all the time, not only in games, but every day in training. They’re always striving to improve.

"I know I have to work just as hard, if not harder than they do if I want to play and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

And Pique refuses to get disheartened by the seemingly impossible task of breaking into the best defensive pairing in English football.

“You can look at it both ways,” he reasons. “In one way, it’s frustrating because I’d like to be playing every week, but at the same time I’m learning from two of the best. I’m confident my chance will arrive. So I have no problem with it.”

No comments: