Custom Search

Friday, February 1, 2008

Ronaldo's freekick secrets

Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed the mental and physical regime he follows that has helped the United winger to become the best free-kick taker in the world. The Portuguese star's stunning 30-yard set-piece in United's 2-0 triumph over Portsmouth on Wednesday was described by Sir Alex Ferguson as the finest in Premier League history and one of the best he had ever seen.
Ronaldo refused to reveal the secret trick that enables him to hit the ball at such a ferocious pace, while still ensuring it dips enough to hit the target, but he did explain the meticulous routine that leads up to his showstoppers. The 22-year-old ace, who has now scored 27 goals from 28 matches this season, said: "The secret? I will not reveal it, for I would be giving a trump card to my opponents. I can state only the success or failure at the moment of taking the free-kick is directly related to the position of the body, the way one runs towards the ball and the way one positions one's feet. At that moment, I think only about which side of the net I'm going to aim for. I look at the ball, I look at the net and I say to myself 'take the kick, Ronaldo', then I shoot. Sometimes it ends well, sometimes not so well."
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

No comments: