Custom Search

Monday, February 11, 2008

Skipper vows to return

Gary Neville has hit back at speculative reports suggesting his career may come to a premature end after a long-running injury battle.

The Reds' skipper, who turns 33 next Monday, has not played for United's first-team since rupturing ankle ligaments against Bolton Wanderers last March.

Subsequent niggles have further disrupted his progress. It has been a hugely frustrating period for the right-back, but he insists his career is far from over.

"The fact I’ve been out for so long brings about speculation regarding whether or not I’ll make it back. I understand that," he told United Review.

"Ironically my ankle has been okay for the last couple of months, I’ve just picked up little knocks here and there that have lasted a couple of weeks or so; they can really set you back when you’ve been out for so long.

"I’m training again and I am focused on getting fit. I’m not going to put a timescale on it or name a game when I’ll be back. Once I get fit, and I’m doing the best I can to get to that point, I’ve no doubts I’ll be okay."

No comments: