Custom Search

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Cantona backs Euro charge

Eric Cantona is backing the Reds to overcome Lyon at Old Trafford on Tuesday night and go all the way in this season's Champions League.

United hold the upper hand in the last 16 tie thanks to Carlos Tevez's late leveller in the 1-1 draw at the Stade Gerland.

Having fallen at the semi-final hurdle last season, the Reds are determined to go one better and emulate their previous two triumphs this time round. And Cantona believes Sir Alex can inspire his troops to glory.

"I really hope United will win it this season. And, if they do, I hope they will win another one next year," declared the former striker in an interview with Sky Sports. "I'm sure Sir Alex will find the words to help the team win it. That is the key.

"He has to find goals all the time. If he wins it this year, then he will find another goal for next year. It's why he's still at Old Trafford after 21 years. He always finds something more after winning something - that's why he is the greatest."

Cantona, who retired from the game in 1997, maintains that his four-and-a-half years with the Reds remain a hugely memorable period of his life and an experience he'll always treasure.

"I will never forget anything about my time there and the way the fans treated me, and until the last minute of my life I will have this club in my heart," he insisted.

No comments: