Custom Search

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Foster feels part of the team

Ben Foster admitted it was a “fantastic” feeling to finally make his first-team debut in the narrow 1-0 victory at Derby.

The goalkeeper was thrust into action at Pride Park due to the enforced absence of Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuszczak, just a week after returning from an eight-month injury lay-off himself.

The 24-year-old, who joined the Reds in 2005 but spent the last two seasons on loan at Watford, told MUTV: “I finally feel like a United player now!

“I’ve been here nearly three years and it’s good to finally get on the pitch for the first team in a competitive game.

“I’m not one for nerves – I just take things in my stride and try not to think about things too much. It’s a big thing to come back from injury and to be thrown straight into the first team, but I thoroughly enjoyed it – though it was a bit harder than I thought!”

Many pundits predicted a cakewalk for United against rock-bottom Derby, but the Reds spurned chance after chance and would have fallen behind in the first half had Foster not made two fine saves from Kenny Miller.

The keeper added: “The first one was a reaction save to my left and Kenny Miller was through one-on-one for the second, but I stopped it and I went in at half-time feeling good.

“The second half was the same as the first half – we looked the more dangerous team but they had some chances as well.”

Cristiano Ronaldo finally broke the deadlock against the battling Rams after 75 minutes, slotting home Wayne Rooney’s cross as United moved ahead of Arsenal at the top of the table.

Bolton are next up at Old Trafford on Wednesday and, despite his assured debut, Foster does not expect to retain his place if Van der Sar recovers from a groin injury.

“I wouldn’t have thought the manager would have too much of a dilemma,” said Foster. “Edwin’s probably going to be fit for the Bolton or Liverpool game and I’ve no qualms about him going straight back in.

“He’s been fantastic this season and if I were him I’d be pretty disappointed if someone came in for one game and took my spot!”

No comments: