Custom Search

Thursday, March 20, 2008

'Rocket' Ronny honoured

Cristiano Ronaldo admitted it was 'an honour and a pleasure' to have captained United for the first time against Bolton Wanderers.

The 23-year-old also scored both goals in the 2-0 victory, to take his personal tally to 33 for the season and cap a highly satisfactory evening.

"It is always good to be captain at this massive club," he told Sky Sports. "For me it is an honour and a pleasure.

"But my responsibilities are still the same. I do not change my game or personality just because I am captain. It was a marvellous night for me."

Sir Alex Ferguson felt that Ronaldo coped superbly with the captaincy, taking the extra pressure of the role in his stride.

"Cristiano looks for that kind of responsibility, I think he’s very comfortable with it," he told MUTV. "Not everyone wants to be captain to be honest with you, but he carries the mantle very well."

Ronaldo's second goal against Bolton was another superb long-range free-kick - his fifth of the season - and Sir Alex reiterated that the winger's repeated success is down to his commitment to practice.

"It’s another marvellous free-kick. He does practice them, as we know, and he has a technique, but the practice thing is the most important aspect in terms of getting shots on target," he said.

Yet again, Ronaldo's technique for striking dead balls came into question and, when asked if he had christened his style, he replied: "Rocket. I like to hear people say 'the Ronaldo rocket'. I am joking!"

No comments: