Custom Search

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Giggs: I'll keep on going

Ryan Giggs has not set a retirement date and says he will bring the curtain down on his career when he feels the time is right.

A number of factors will affect his decision, including performance levels and fitness, while the veteran winger says coaching is a possible route to take after retirement.

"I'll think about that a lot more after I’ve done my badges in the summer – I did my ‘B’ badge and enjoyed that," he said. "I do think I’ll be involved in the game in some way but for now I am just concentrating on playing football.”

Giggs will turn 35 in November, and with one year left on his contract has no long-term plans in place. But he does intend to carry on playing as long as he is enjoying his football.

"[I'll retire] when I stop enjoying it and I'm not performing at the level I should be doing," he told Setantasports.com.

"There’s no particular season I’ve got in mind. I’ve got another year after this on my contract, and it will depend on my body, on how I feel, if I’m enjoying it. I'll take it all into consideration. I hope it doesn’t, but if it ended tomorrow, I wouldn’t swap my career for anyone's."

The Welshman could equal Sir Bobby Chartlon's all-time club appearance record if he plays in all of United's remaining games this season, providing the Reds make it to the Champions League final.

"When it comes to personal records I’ve done my best to play things down – winning trophies matters most, it’s as simple as that," he added. "That’s the sole aim and if I pass milestones in the meantime, that’s great."

No comments: