Custom Search

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Nani says sorry for red card

Nani has apologised for getting himself needlessly sent off against West Ham in the Reds' 4-1 victory at the weekend.

With United 3-1 up at Old Trafford at the time, the Portuguese winger got involved in a scuffle with Lucas Neill. The Australian defender certainly looked to have provoked Nani, but the United starlet was correctly dismissed for reacting by going head-to-head with the Hammers defender.

Sir Alex Ferguson described Nani's actions as "immature", especially considering that, at this stage of the season, United could have done without playing half a game with only ten men.

In the end it made no difference to the overall outcome of the game, but 21-year-old Nani has since recognised his misdemeanour and is clearly contrite.

"I recognise my action was a thoughtless one," he said. "But I also have to say I was provoked and attacked.

"I regret what I did and want to publicly ask for forgiveness."

No comments: