Custom Search

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Skipper ready and willing

Gary Neville says he is ready to do his bit for the United cause should Sir Alex Ferguson need to call on him as the Reds bid for double glory.

The skipper has struggled with a series of niggling injuries following ankle ligament damage sustained in March last year.

He returned to action in the Reds' quarter-final victory over Roma at Old Trafford, coming on a substitute for the final nine minutes.

The right-back has not been involved since, but insists he is ready and willing should he be called upon at Wigan on Sunday and in the Champions League final later this month.

"I am feeling good. I have been training and travelling with the team for the last seven or eight matches and really enjoying being back among the lads," he said.

"It is going to be difficult for the manager with the defence playing so well, and I understand that it is almost impossible for him to get me in. I totally accept that.

"The matches are too important to help players get their fitness back but I am there. I am fit and have been for six to eight weeks and if I am required or am needed at any point, I have to be ready.

"It has been a frustrating season for me. But that will all be lifted if we win the title and the Champions League. Players get injuries. The most important thing is that this club wins trophies."

No comments: