Custom Search

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tevez: Success at last!

Carlos Tevez has revealed Moscow was a case of third time lucky for the Reds’ no.32.

Before his arrival in England, Tevez tasted bitter disappointment in major finals with Boca Juniors and Argentina.

“I lost to Once Caldas in the Copa Libertadores in 2004,” he revealed, “and Brazil in the Copa America [last summer]. This time I had to win it.”

No doubt the 2004 loss was running through his mind in Moscow, as that final also ended 1-1 before going to penalties.

“It’s been a long time since I felt like this,” he said. “There’s huge emotion in my heart. When I was a child, I never thought I would be now lifting the European Cup, but dreams usually come true and I am very, very happy.”

Although Tevez started just six of United’s 13 Champions League games this season, he appeared in a further six on the road to European glory. The only match he didn’t take part in was the Matchday 6 “dead rubber” in Rome’s Stadio Olimpico.

Indeed, the 24-year-old was instrumental to the Reds’ success, scoring vital goals against Olympique Lyonnais (a) and AS Roma (h) in the knockout rounds.

“Sir Alex gives me confidence,” the Argentina international said. “I know what he thinks, what he needs and we always discuss the decisions he makes.

“He has always backed me and I am very thankful to him.”

No comments: