Custom Search

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Campbell 'sticking around'

After making his first league start for the Reds against Newcastle, Fraizer Campbell says he is “sticking around” for more first-team opportunities, despite interest from other clubs.

For Campbell, the experience of playing alongside Wayne Rooney in front of 75,000 fans at Old Trafford is everything he has worked for in his fledgling career, and reported interested from former loan club Hull City won't lure him away.

“It’s difficult to put into words what it felt like,” he said. “It’s great. It’s what I’ve been working for ever since I joined this club so it was great to get out there. I hope to get more chances in the team, I’ll be sticking around for a bit.”

Playing against Newcastle was a bittersweet moment for the 20-year-old striker. Named in the starting line-up for the first time in the Premier League, Campbell turned in a real livewire display up front. Despite being held to a draw by Kevin Keegan’s side, the Huddersfield-born forward relished the experience.

“Obviously on your debut you wanted everything to go well, but I really enjoyed myself and I think we were unlucky not to get the result that we deserved,” he told MUTV.

Campbell was denied a goal to cap his impressive display by Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given, whose unorthodox save stopped a stunning first-half header.

“He (Given) was trying his best to upset me,” Campbell said. “It happened so quickly, I didn’t see how he saved it but a few people told me afterwards that it hit him in the face. That’s the way it goes sometimes.

“We responded brilliantly to their goal, coming back to score ourselves. We took over the game there and I think we should have come away with the three points after that.

“A draw isn't the end of the world. Not losing your first game of the season stands you in good stead for the rest of the campaign.

"Hopefully we can go on to repeat some of the things United achieved last season.”

No comments: