Custom Search

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ole: It was a special day

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admitted he was close to tears as he emerged from the tunnel prior to his testimonial game against Espanyol.

It was an emotional day for the Norwegian, who came on in the 68th minute and almost broke the deadlock. Fraizer Campbell did find the net, scoring the only goal of the game in the 82nd minute.

“It was a very special day,” Solskjaer told MUTV. “I just wanted to do well when I came on – I wanted to score a goal, but it didn’t happen.”

Solskjaer was only denied his dream by a breathtaking finger-tip save from Espanyol goalkeeper Alvarez Cristian.

“I’ve always said there’s no such thing as a good save – just a bad finish – but there are always exceptions to the rule," Ole joked. "I have to say, it was a decent save by the goalkeeper.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my day. I’ve been looking forward to it for almost a year, ever since I retired [in August 2007]. The last few weeks have been really, really hectic and I haven’t had time to think about anything else. But now it’s done.

“I had the best players in the world playing around me here at United. That makes it easier for a forward; you don’t have to work as hard to create chances for yourself – your team-mates are always going to create chances for you.”

No comments: