Custom Search

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Owen's best yet to come

Owen Hargreaves has a point to prove this season - a self-imposed target of showing his true abilities for the Reds.

The 27-year-old midfielder, who missed United's entire pre-season, is working on his fitness after a flare-up of the tendinitis problem that disrupted his debut season at Old Trafford.

The part he played in 2007/08's success should not be underplayed, but Hargreaves believes he never operated above half capacity.

"There is a lot more to come from me," he says confidently. "I don't think I played a game healthy last season. I was at about 50 or 60% at best. When I had a scan on the knee this summer it hadn't improved, so I came back early to try to fix it at the start of pre-season. Hopefully I'll be fit soon."

In the current climate of injuries, suspensions and absentees, Hargreaves's midfield bite is sorely missed but, despite his determination to return, no comeback date is set in stone.

"I'm not setting a timetable but I am close," he said. "I've not joined the lads yet, hopefully it will happen this week. Whether I'm fit for Portsmouth or the match after that, the most important thing is I'm healthy for the rest of the season."

Owen's Key Games

He may not feel like he was operating above "50 or 60 per cent" but Hargreaves more than played his part last term. Here are three key performances from 2007/08...

Liverpool 0 United 1
Anfield, 16.12.07
The smash and grab job at Anfield was a gleaming example of a controlled and accomplished defensive performance, and Hargreaves was vital in the Reds' midfield engine room. Anderson, Tevez and Rio may have grabbed the attention, but Hargreaves' part was crucial.

United 2 Arsenal 1
Old Trafford, 13.04.08
Managing to take the free-kick responsibilities off Ronaldo was a feat in itself. But his winning strike against the Gunners was a critical moment in the title race. The match proved that Hargreaves is a player for the big occasion.

United 1 Chelsea 1 (6-5 pens)
Luzhniki Stadium, 21.5.08
With Ronaldo switched to the left, Hargreaves started on the right. He pushed Ashley Cole deeper into defence and delivered some excellent crosses. When he moved into central midfield later in the game he was vital. Scored a cracking penalty in the shoot-out.

No comments: