Custom Search

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Welbeck hungry for more

Having enjoyed his first taste of senior football in the Reds’ Carling Cup win over Middlesbrough, 17-year-old Danny Welbeck has his heart-set on gaining more first-team involvement this season.

The tricky striker is highly thought-of inside Old Trafford, and he justified Sir Alex Ferguson’s faith with a sparkling 90-minute display in Tuesday’s win. Although he couldn’t cap his debut with a goal, Danny's display more than justified the beaming grin long he sported long after after the final whistle.

"It’s a great night, and a great experience to play at Old Trafford in front of thousands of people,” he told MUTV after the game. “I’m looking to take it all on board and just use it in the future for whenever I’m called upon.

“I’ve got to keep focused. I’m training hard every day and I can’t wait to be playing as much as possible. I’m just looking to train with the first team every day, as I’ve been doing, and try to push for the team every single week – that’s my goal.”

Welbeck was a constant menace to the Boro defence with his unpredictable forward play, and only two fine saves from Brad Jones denied him a goal to cement a dream debut.

Although frustrated to have missed out on a place on the scoresheet, Welbeck is almost certain to get another shot when United take part in the next round of the Carling Cup in early October.

“I thought I did well, particularly in the first half,” he said “In the second half I had a chance right at the start – I’ve watched it again and it wasn’t as easy as I thought it was at the time. But I’m proud and happy.

“It’s great to be playing with other great young players, and to learn off the older ones. It’s the best place to be and I’m loving it. The youngsters get a go, and in the next round I think we’ll see how it comes, see who we get and we’re definitely looking forward to it."

No comments: