Custom Search

Monday, October 27, 2008

Ronny: Sir Alex is my inspiration

Cristiano Ronaldo has described Sir Alex Ferguson as his “inspiration” after winning the FIFPro World Player of the Year award - and says the United boss is the “main factor” why is still at the club.

Ronaldo, speaking after being voted the best player in the world by his peers, paid tribute to the influence Sir Alex has had on his career – from spotting him playing for Sporting Lisbon, to signing him and giving him the freedom to develop his talent to the fullest.

“Sir Alex has been the big inspiration to me,” he said. “I am here because of him. When he saw me playing for Sporting Lisbon against Manchester United, he believed in me enough to buy me. I've been here for five years. I've learned many things from him and I'm continuing to learn. He is a great manager. He has won everything in the game.”

A summer of intense speculation saw Ronaldo heavily linked with a move to Spanish side Real Madrid. But a meeting with Sir Alex resulted, at least on United’s part, in a line being drawn under the matter.

“Of course, [Sir Alex] was the main factor for keeping me here,” he added. “But what happened in the summer is finished. My head is focused on the club. My focus is solely on playing well for Manchester United and winning the Premier League and Champions League again. The summer is finished. My head is always here in the club.”

Some in the media have still sought to analyse every gesture or facial expression in a negative way. “If I smile it is because I smile. If I don't it’s because I don't,” he explains. “People are always writing things about me. It is up to them; for me it is not a problem. I will just try to play well and do my best. I am just focused on playing good football.”

Ronaldo’s attention is also on winning trophies with United as well as the many person awards he is rapidly accumulating. Equalling last year’s tally of 42 goals will be a tall order this term, but the Portuguese winger isn’t targeting figures.

“I am an ambitious player,” he added. “I try to improve every season. I know last year was magnificent. I played really well, I scored so many goals and we won major trophies. It is possible this season. But my priority is not only to score goals. I don't have to do that. I just have to play well for the team. I want to do the same as last season. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I just want to keep proving to myself that I am a good player.”

No comments: