Custom Search

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Substitution saved Rooney

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Wayne Rooney was substituted to avoid being sent off against Everton.

The former Goodison favourite, who has shared a fiery relationship with Everton fans since leaving the club in 2004, was booked by referee Alan Wiley for an innocuous looking challenge midway through the second half of Saturday's draw.

Rooney reacted to the home fans' baitings by kissing his United badge, further fanning the flames, and was substituted shortly after amid fears that Wiley's unpredictable behaviour could have seen Rooney red-carded.

"I don't know why he was booked," said Sir Alex. "The crowd obviously got him booked but the way the referee was behaving, I feared he may be sent off. For no reason, of course, but just the way the crowd was reacting, getting him booked in the first place, I just felt I had to take him off."

While Sir Alex paid tribute to Everton's feisty approach, he admitted that he expected to see his players given more protection by referee Wiley.

"There were tackles everywhere and I don't think the referee protected our players enough," said the manager. "I felt for a while as if I was watching Australian rules!

"The way the modern game is, with the speed of challenges, you have to be careful. Some tackles were going on there that weren't right. It's the referee's job to make sure the players are protected, and I don't think they were."

No comments: