Custom Search

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Welbeck playing it cool

Danny Welbeck announced his arrival on the Premier League stage with a wonder goal in the 5-0 win over Stoke City, but the level-headed striker has promised to keep his feet firmly on the ground.

Welbeck doesn’t turn 18 until the end of this month, but he has already caused a stir among those in the know with some exciting displays in the Carling Cup this season. But to score on his Premier League debut is the biggest indication yet of the talent he possesses.

“It feels amazing,” he told MUTV after the game. “Scoring in front of the Stretford End is what every young boy from Manchester dreams of. I loved it. I wouldn’t say I’ve dreamt about it, but I’ve thought about it every day of my life ever since I started playing football. There’s nothing better.”

The goal, a shot from 30 yards which flew into the top corner, also shows his limitless confidence in his own ability. “I got the ball on the edge of the centre-circle and I knew Ryan Shawcross was behind me. I played a one-two with Manucho, took a touch and just thought, ‘I’m going to hit it’.

“I was just relieved to see it hit the back of the net. I’m not going to lie, I’ve seen replays of it a few times already!”

But he’s not getting too carried away. “I’m sure the manager will help me keep my feet on the ground but I’m quite level-headed anyway, so I’ll just take it all in my stride. I just want more opportunities. It’s made me hungry for more. Playing with these players in the first team – there’s no better experience. I’m willing to learn and improve as much as I can as a player.”

No comments: