Custom Search

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Owen eyes Chelsea return


Owen Hargreaves missed United's opening Champions League Group F game against Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday, but the midfielder is hoping to be fit to face Chelsea this weekend.

The 26-year-old has been struggling with a thigh strain and also missed United's 1-0 win over Everton last weekend.

It had been thought that Hargreaves would be fit for the trip to Portugal, but the Englishman was left out of the squad that travelled of Lisbon.

"[The injury] is okay," he said on Monday. "I have never really had this injury before so this is new territory."

"I thought I would be fit to play for England in the Israel game, then the Russia game and then Everton, but I've still not done it. I have to take it day by day so hopefully I will be fit for the weekend."

Injury prevented Hargreaves from appearing in United's opening three matches of the campaign. But he proved exceptional in the three games he has played in so far this term. Outstanding despite defeat to Manchester City, he then helped the Reds to 1-0 victories over Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland, which makes it all the more maddening that he cannot have a clear run of games.

"It is frustrating," he said. "I missed pre-season then I had a run of games and I was really enjoying it. It is just disappointing to suffer something so niggly. But I think these injuries come from last season when I broke my leg."

No comments: