Custom Search

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ronny craves victory in Portugal

Cristiano Ronaldo says he respects his former club but won't be doing them any favours as United prepare to take on Sporting Lisbon in Wednesday's Champions League Group F fixture.

During Tuesday's pre-match press conference, Ronaldo, who spent seven years at Sporting before signing for the Reds in 2003, admitted the Portuguese club felt like his "second home". But there's no denying where Ronaldo's loyalties lie these days.

"It's always good to come back to Lisbon," the 22-year-old said. "I have many friends and colleagues at the club and I'm very excited about the match. I like the club but now my first colour is red and I hope to win with Manchester United."

Asked if he would celebrate should he find the net against the club that nurtured his talent from an early age, Ronaldo said he couldn't plan his reaction.

"It will depend on the moment," he said. "I will have to wait to see how I feel. I don't know if I'll score and I don't know how I'll react. Right now I just want to say I'll give my best and I'll be playing to win.

"United respect Sporting Lisbon but we also believe we have the better squad. I hope I'll be happy at the end of tomorrow's game and I hope I receive a warm welcome from the Sporting fans."

Sir Alex believed the Reds' no.7 needn't worry about the fans' reaction, even though he was booed viciously the last time United played in Portugal.

"There won't be any negative reaction from Sporting fans," the manager said. "This is his old club and he was here seven years as a kid. I think he'll get a good reception – Nani too. Ronaldo got some stick at Benfica but that's expected."

No comments: