Custom Search

Monday, October 15, 2007

Evra's history lesson

Patrice Evra has revealed he has immersed himself in books and DVDs to learn more about United's rich history.

The 26-year-old Frenchman has become Sir Alex Ferguson's first-choice left-back since joining from Monaco nearly two years ago. Evra says an important part of settling into his surroundings was learning about United's past.

"I joined a club that has such a strong identity so I had to learn it," he told France Football. "I watched many cassettes, DVDs of Eric Cantona and have translated a lot of books. Now when an ex-player shakes hands with me, I know who he is."

Ferbruary's 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash is on the horizon, and learning about the tragedy has given Evra a better understanding of the fabric of the club.

"[Learning about] the plane crash in 1958 moved me," he said. "When I take the plane with Bobby Charlton, I ask myself, ’how can he do it after what he has been through?’.

"I have more and more respect for this shirt. I advise everybody to be interested in his club, to identify yourself to it, it helped me."

No comments: