Custom Search

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Kuszczak: I'm good enough to be United 'keeper

Tomasz Kuszczak insists he is good enough to become Manchester United's first-choice goalkeeper.

Kuszczak made his Champions League bow for the Red Devils last night and celebrated with a clean sheet as Sir Alex Ferguson's men overcame Roma to maintain their 100% start to Group F.

It was only the Poland international's 15th appearance for United since arriving from West Brom at the start of last season, initially on loan before completing a permanent £4million move this summer.

Largely though, it has been a time of frustration as Kuszczak continued to play second fiddle to Edwin van der Sar and with Ben Foster returning from two seasons at Watford, it appeared the 25-year-old's chances would be even more limited this term.

However, with Foster out until March with cruciate ligament damage and van der Sar currently sidelined with a toe problem, Kuszczak has finally got the chance to show Ferguson what he can do.

Although he was not overly extended by the Italians at Old Trafford, he performed most tasks competently enough and is already looking forward to Saturday's local derby with Wigan.

And, while he refuses to spend too much time wondering about the future, Kuszczak has enough confidence in his own ability to believe he can be van der Sar's long-term successor.

'I know I am a good goalkeeper, I just need the opportunity to show it,' he said.

'I don't think about how long I have got. Edwin is injured at the moment, so I have the chance to play in big games and I need to do well.

'I have been happy with my form and feel I did well in pre-season. I was determined to fight for my place but unfortunately, I started the year on the bench again.'

Ferguson has always tried to give Kuszczak first-team exposure where possible but the goalkeeper is one of the players to suffer because of United's unexpected Carling Cup exit to Coventry last week.

It means, until the FA Cup campaign comes around, obvious opportunities to rest van der Sar will be scarce, which is why Kuszczak recognises the need to impress now.

'I enjoy every game at Old Trafford,' he said.

'The fans are great and when you have a full stadium, it is dream to play there.

'But I want to play more. That is why it is important for me to perform in every single game.'

No comments: