Custom Search

Monday, November 26, 2007

Evra: I love the club

Patrice Evra is the next United player in line to sign a new extended contract, and the Reds full-back says he couldn’t be happier at Old Trafford.

The 26-year-old has been one of the Reds’ outstanding performers this season.

His current deal expires in around 18 months, but Evra is keen to extend his stay in Manchester.

"I love the club and I am really enjoying my football," he told MUTV.

"I've got one season left on my contract after this one, but Manchester United know my situation. I'm just concentrating on playing, I'll leave the rest to my agent and the club."

Evra modestly, almost reluctantly, accepts praise for his performances this term.

"I work hard every day," he said. "Football for me is like a pyramid and you have to always try and stay at the top. I need to continue my work. Everyone at the club has really helped and I have no excuse not to do well."

Not only is Patrice proving popular on the pitch, his personality makes him a well-liked figure off it among team-mates and with the manager - except when international matters are at stake.

"I remember when France lost to Scotland, when I got back to Manchester the boss and Fletch absolutely killed me! Now it's my turn," Patrice joked.

Evra helped France secure qualification to Euro 2008 alongside Italy, at the expense of Scotland.

However, he says he would have gladly seen Scotland go through, so long as it wasn’t at the expense of les bleus.

"I would have been happy if France and Scotland had qualified,” he added.

"They did very well in the qualifying games. Conceding the goal after just two minutes against Italy made it difficult, but the atmosphere was absolutely amazing at Hampden Park.

"I was certain that Scotland would beat Italy, but football can be like that."

No comments: