Custom Search

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rio a Red for life

Rio Ferdinand says he hopes to have signed a new contract with United by the end of the season after stating his desire to stay with the Reds for life.

The defender, who joined in July 2002, has two more years left to run on his current deal and insists he is keen to stay put for the remainder of his career.

"I have two more years on my contract and I'd like to finish my career at United," revealed the 29-year-old in an interview with BBC Radio Leeds.

"The club have made an approach to my agent but there's so many games it's difficult to get around the table.

"By the end of the season, if not sooner, it should be done and dusted."

The centre-back also reflected on his recent outing as England captain during last week's friendly in France.

"Being given the duty was a real honour for me, I'd love to be the captain of England, who wouldn't?" he said.

"It's not going to be the be all and end all, it won't make or break my career or make me lose sleep at night.

"I'm still going to have the same thoughts and apply myself the same way regardless of who is being picked as captain. I want to win things and we need eleven captains out there not just the one."

No comments: