Custom Search

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pique relishing Barca reunion

Gerard Pique is relishing a return to Barcelona in the Champions League semi-finals, and the young Spaniard is confident that United can oust his former side en route to reaching this year's final.

The 21-year-old central defender left the Catalan giants to join United in 2004 and, after playing a key role in the Reds' quarter-final, second leg victory over Roma on Wednesday evening, Pique insists the Reds have nothing to fear.

"It means a lot for me to go back to the Nou Camp," he told MUTV. "I grew up there and it will be a great feeling to return. I hope we go through. We are very confident even though they are one of the best teams in Europe.

"I think a lot of people want a Barcelona v United final but this isn’t possible. Instead, we’ll play in the semi-finals and it will be a great tie. I think the fans will really enjoy it."

In Nemanja Vidic's absence, Pique slotted in seamlessly alongside Rio Ferdinand against Roma, and the youngster feels it is exactly that kind of strength in depth which gives United a great chance of reaching the final in Moscow.

"I think we have a great chance of making the final," he said. "The injury situation is good and everybody is doing a job when they come into the side. I think we can do it and I hope we’ll be in Moscow.

"It’s easy to come into the side and play because everyone’s playing well and we all know our roles. It’s easy to step into this team and enjoy your football when you’re on the pitch."

No comments: